The Texas elementary school where a gunman killed 19 students and two teachers last month will be torn down, the mayor of Uvalde announced Tuesday.
Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin told a city council meeting that after speaking with Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Superintendent Hal Harrell, he “understood” that Robb Elementary School would be demolished. The mayor did not specify when the demolition would take place.
“You can never ask a child to return to this school or a teacher to return to this school,” the mayor said during the council meeting.
POLICE RESPONSE TO UVALDE SHOOTING ‘ABJECT FAILURE’ SAYS TEXAS DPS CHIEF
On June 2, Harrell announced that nearly 600 students enrolled at Robb Elementary School would not be returning to the building for classes. It is unclear where students at Robb Elementary School will take classes for the next school year.
In October 2013, demolition began at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut, 10 months after a gunman killed 27 people at the school. A new school was built to replace Sandy Hook in another section of the same property. The new school opened in 2016.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
McLaughlin’s announcement came the same day the Texas Department of Public Safety criticized the slow police response to the shooting, with Chief Steven McCraw calling law enforcement’s response to the massacre a ” “dismal failure”.
The Washington Examiner contacted CISD Uvalde for more information on the demolition schedule and student relocation plans.