It’s Not Too Late for California High School Students to Call for Class Changes


A route for California high school students to seek relief from the distance education academic record last school year remains available, but the window for school districts to accept applications may soon close.

Assembly Bill 104, enacted by Governor Gavin Newsom in July, allows high school students in the 2020-2021 school year to apply to their school district, county office of education or charter school to change any low or failing mark to a passing / no passing mark. The change is intended to mitigate last year’s academic fallout on student grade point averages.

Changing an F to a “no pass” note eliminates the drag on a GPA. But changing a D grade or, in some cases, even a C grade to a “passed” grade can help increase the GPA, based on the student’s GPA before taking the course.

The deadline for students to request class changes was originally August 15. But the cleanup of the budget bill, which Newsom signed on September 23, forced local education agencies to continue accepting applications until October 1. School districts can accept applications after this date if they wish, however.

Schools are supposed to provide families with information about the application process both through individual written notifications and on their websites. Some, including Schools in the city of Santa Rosa and the West Sonoma County Union High School District, made the instructions available on the district home page.

Parents can contact their school to learn more about the class change request process.

Colleges and universities, including all California State University campuses and many University of California schools, have agreed to accept pass / fail grades without prejudice. The California Department of Education has published a list from public and private universities accepting grades on its website.

The same piece of legislation also allowed kindergarten to grade 11 students to apply for a one-year retention if they failed more than half of their classes. It also allows high school juniors and seniors in 2020-2021 to request exemptions from any courses required by their school district outside of state mandated courses.

You can reach Editor-in-Chief Kaylee Tornay at 707-521-5250 or [email protected] On Twitter @ka_tornay.


Leave A Reply